Chess In The Library

Chess In The Library

Tuesday 26 June 2012

2012-2013 CITL Executive Board Elections - Outreach Coordinator

Outreach Coordinator Roles and Responsibilities
The outreach coordinator will be responsible for promoting and propagating CITL through the executive blog, posts on ChessTalk, and public speaking at chess and library events. He or she will also be responsible for managing any personal donors to CITL. 

Candidacy Platform
Hi everyone!

I’m Tina Fang from London, Ontario. Last December, I started Chess in the Library at the Masonville Branch here in London. Being a founder and a volunteer was an invaluable experience for me. As I’m sure all of you fellow volunteers can relate, seeing kids play chess puts a smile to your face, and can create joy from the sense of accomplishment.

Taking on a role as a founder, however, was difficult at times. London, being two hours away from Toronto, the headquarters of CITL, has a much less vibrant community for chess. So never mind a program for kids to play chess for fun- it was non-existent. Starting almost from scratch here, I knew that promotion is essential to the success of CITL in London. Sure enough, using media like posters and flyers for promotion, we gained the much needed publicity for the success of this novel program in London. So I think to myself: Now that I have done that for the program in London, why not do the same for the program of CITL?

Media is a powerful tool. Using media, I hope to present the most scintillating aspects of CITL. At my school, I am often given the task of creating posters for various club activities. I believe my extensive experience in creating attractive posters serves me well in designing various attention grabbers for CITL. With regards to social media, I’m not slouch either. I love using technology and definitely hope to apply it to social media such as Facebook and Twitter to show the world what our amazing program is about.

Besides my experiences with media, I am actually first and foremost a chess player. I learned about CITL from competitive chess, so in the future, I hope promote CITL to others as a chess player too. As a competitive chess player, I am a part of the Canadian chess community. One of my chess accomplishments was representing Canada at the World Youth Chess Championships in Brazil last year. This experience introduced me to many top junior players in Canada, and more importantly, has allowed me to be more involved in the world of Canadian chess. This involvement, in turn, gives me the privilege to contacts in the competitive chess community. After I am elected, I will be sure to use that to our advantage to propagate CITL through ChessTalk, the most popular chess forum in Canada.

Ultimately, it is the avid chess fan in me that makes me so keen to promote the royal game that I love. I see being the Outreach Coordinator of CITL as the golden opportunity to put my expertise and passion to work for the greater community of chess.

Now, I don’t know many of you wonderful volunteers, but I do know that it is this amazing program of CITL that bonds us together to make this program the program it is today. I look forward to meeting many of you at the CITL Festival and please vote for me as your Outreach Director :)

Thank you for reading this, and see you all on Saturday!

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment